Untitled

Have you considered spraying Steriods on the SoyBeans?? LOL
    • May 21, 2010 11:27 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Have you taken one of those bucks to get them aged? I have taken some 150in bucks that where aged at 4yrs old and also 7 yr old but I could not really tell the difference until I had them aged. There body size was the same.
    • May 21, 2010 12:12 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

I was kidding D lol
    • May 21, 2010 3:04 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

it depends on where in NY some are about 100lbs but further north they get up to about 200lbs
    • May 22, 2010 10:17 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

150 inch bucks are good bucks Imo, my best in 29 years of hunting here in Maine is 148, this is a 9 point so there is some deductions because it did not have the 10th point, few things to consider, in my experience, there are some areas that produce wide racks and some tight racks which as you know hurt scores, I believe this may be more in genetics as the shape of a skull and angle antlers start out.... Go some where you can look at a number of deer even mounted and you can quickly see this when looking for it. I believe that genetics are one of the most importing factor in antler growth, do a little research, and you will find the biggest racks come from the same areas and have for the last 100 years. I going to try an attach a pic here look at these 3 racks the top is my 148, next one down not sure what it scores but take a look at the antler base and the spread you end up with, the 3rd a coyote kill deer would never make a score over 150, Imo because of where and how the base of the antlers are coming out of the head. All 3 of these deer come out of the same township here, the middle one was killed by a great uncle, 35 years ago or so, this is the same area as the silver ridge buck shot by Fred Goodwin came out of so it has a history of some very big deer. ( Do a little search silver ridge buck-Fred goodwin you should be able to find a pic and a good deer story)

Oaks are great for deer, we have very few here mostly on the river these are the red oaks and are on the northern range of them, we did have a lot of beach at one time but the beach bark disease and clear cutting has wiped most of these ridges out. Regardless, I do not believe you have enough acorns during antler growth stage to make a difference in rack size I don't know about soy beans as we are to far north here for them to grow, but you need to look at what the deer have to eat when there antlers are growing.

PS my pic did not come out of 3 racks and will try angain tommorow when I have better light

• July 11, 2010 9:46 AM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Steve is right about the genetics but also you you do need to get the deer aged and examined by a biologist if you are planning on trying to increase the antler sizes of your bucks. Also, do you use gravity feeders with protein pellets?? This will help with calcium and other supplements that may help future growth. But if all else fails and you can control the area... Just buy you a buck from a farm and let him loose on your place.. Or buy 2 or 3 :)

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel
test