Forums Stupid Hunting Stories Need I say More?
  • Topic: The River

Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • June 12, 2010 2:46 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Ok- This happened about 20 years ago-

We were hunting in Deleware County NY. Opening day was uneventful and rainy. None of us seemed to have any luck that day so like any 20 year old sportsman, we had a few beers & talked about the days events which was a short conversation. As luck would have it- we woke up to a nice fresh blanket of snow. It only snowed a few inches but it was enough to give us a little bit of an edge.

After first light- I thought that I would try a new area to hunt. I came to a small river. It was only about 20 feet wide & there was a fallen tree across it which gave me a nice dry place to cross. So I slung my rifle over my shoulder & started to cross. What I failed to take into account was that the fallen tree was also covered with snow. I was about halfway across when I started to slip & lose my balance on the tree. Naturally, I figured that I should jump to the riverbank. I could make that jump....couldnt I? Just as I started to make the jump, the rifle swung around & hit me in the face.

I came up about 5 feet shy of the river bank & landed in the deepest section which was almost chest high in Ice Cold river water!. I made my way back to the side of the river that I started from & ran all the way back to the truck which was a mile away. I felt a little relieved when I finally got into the truck but...... There was No Keys!! I tried beeping the horn thinking that my friends would come back to the truck- No Such luck. So I got out of the truck to go & find them. I found them only a few hundred yards away. You would think that they would want to get me back to the cabin to get warm- Wrong again. They did give me the keys to go to the cabin myself though.

Now I know that I am not the only one to pull a bone head move- lets hear some storied

• September 8, 2010 9:12 PM EDT
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

Chris,
      Crossing logs above a stream should be the main gaff for alot of hunters! I did the same thing but I was crossing over to get to an elk I had dropped from across the canyon. He was down and lodged up against a tree laying perpendicular to the slope so he couldn't go anywhere but I didn't know that when I was hustling over. I went in head first with my rifle slinged also. What a shock; ice cold November water! I scrambled out to the bank and opened the bolt to drain it and got up the hill as quick as I could to put the kill shot in him. My partner got up to me and couldn't quit laughing while I couldn't quit shivering. I've never been so cold and excited in my life.
    • January 22, 2014 2:22 PM EST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

Untitled

LOL Congrats Ron.
      Everybody has something funny that has happened to them while Hunting. Its just that Not everybody will admit it. Hell - I am the first one to laugh at myself. Whats the difference? It is all in fun

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is closed
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel
test